Tuesday 21 August 2012

Over the past few weeks I've gotten stuck on a couple psalms that have stood out above the rest. When I read psalm 20 it's as if it was written for me thousands of years ago. I know that's not true but when I add my brackets and interpretation over my own life you'll have a better understanding of how magnificently timeless I believe our God to be.

Psalm 20
1 May the Lord answer you when you are in distress;
    may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.
(hopefully this part is obvious -- that I am in distress and hoping for God to protect me)

2 May he send you help from the sanctuary
    and grant you support from Zion.
3 May he remember all your sacrifices
    and accept your burnt offerings.
(before my diagnosis I started promising to live in greater obedience to God. In doing this I sacrificed my youth ministry and children's ministry work to open more doors with my university ministry. I didn't burn any of my offerings but they where nonetheless a sacrifice from the heart) 

4 May he give you the desire of your heart
    and make all your plans succeed.
(I just love this verse)

5 May we shout for joy over your victory
    and lift up our banners in the name of our God.
May the Lord grant all your requests.
(not a lot of people know this about me but my name, "Berenice" was given to me by my mother not because of the way it sounded but because of it's meaning, which is "victory". Growing up I always felt empowered by my name because whenever I set my mind to something I would be able to accomplish it. After becoming a Christian at 16 I realized that my name wasn't just a symbol for my own personal victories but for the victory which Jesus has had over my life and would continue to have over my life in the years to come. I also learned that whichever victory I could accomplish on my own would be minuscule in comparison to the victories and triumphs he was calling me to. Of course we will shout for joy when this victory is complete, but our banners won't say my name or my doctor's names, they will be banners lifting up the name of God.)

6 Now this I know:
    The Lord gives victory to his anointed.
He answers him from his heavenly sanctuary
    with the victorious power of his right hand.
(again, it's God who is the mighty victor)

7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
    but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
8 They are brought to their knees and fall,
    but we rise up and stand firm.
(this is specially significant to me right now because I can't actually be brought to my knees without being in a great deal of pain due to my recent knee surgery, it also means I can't stand firm for long periods of time because of the lack of strength in my quads and hamstrings. Once again, while others fall, while we rise and stand firm, our strength doesn't even come from our own well being but from the grace of God.)

9 Lord, give victory to the king!
    Answer us when we call!.
(amen)

No comments:

Post a Comment