Tuesday 21 August 2012

A day in the life post chemo...



Today was a pretty mediocre day considering. The best part of my day is probably around 5pm but I won't be able to explain that properly without explaining the rest of my day accurately.

I usually wake up around 8am (not because I want to but because I'm not very good at sleeping lately) I then start my day with an anti-nausea medication the size of a tiny, orange, pancaked watermelon seed. The day gets a little better from there because I get to drink a Yop! but I have to make sure to have my predisone medication (one & 1/2 tablets) which taste like bitter tylenol and don't go down easy after having had them for a couple weeks. They also make me feel like I've had 3 cups of coffee so they leave me anxious for the rest of the morning and sometimes into the afternoon. Yet, even after that pill I feel a little accomplished because then I get to keep eating -- and if you know anything about me it's that I love food :) Sometimes I'll eat a piece of toast without anything on it or sometimes I'll have oatmeal but once I finish eating I have my final pill of the morning, allopurinol. Allopurinol helps me because it helps stop the build up of uric acid in my body, which is just a fancy way of saying it helps my body flush out the chunks of tumour that have been killed off and detached from my thymus. 

For the rest of the day I mainly lie around feeling tired but being unable to sleep and I'm usually uncomfortably hot, anxious (from the predisone), and hungry but don't crave anything in particular. It's quite frustrating at times but somehow I get to 3pm.

At 3pm my friend Larissa always comes over with funny stories and a beautiful smile on her face. Larissa is training to be a nurse and I know in my heart she's going to be the most caring nurse I've ever met in my life and I know she'll bring hope and light to people when they are in their darkest moments. However, Larissa brings me my daily shot of Fragmin, which is a blood thinner. It's the smallest shot in the world and if I were braver I would give it to myself but I've given up on this for right now and come to the conclusion that if I let my friend Larissa give me the shot it's a win-win situation: she gets to practice giving people shots and I get my daily shot!!! 
Fragmin really doesn't even hurt that bad. The needle doesn't hurt at all actually if it's done properly (which it is because Larissa is fabulous), but when the liquid gets injected it stings with a burning sensation! 
After all my pills and shots are done for the day it's still too hot outside for it to be an enjoyable day but when 5pm rolls around and my house starts to cool down it's easy to just lie back on my couch and thank God that there's nothing to think about for the rest of the day other than how good He's been to get me through. 
....I also get to eat dinner shortly after that, which is another thing I thank God for every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment