Friday 16 November 2012

Guest Blogger Kendra H: Lesson Learnt


 
Today was one of the worst experiences I have had so far in Chile, and it sounds ridiculous.  I got my haircut.  For those of you who don’t cherish your hair, or if you are a man I guess you wont really understand this post.  I’m just going to say it, no matter how shallow it sounds: I love my hair.  When I have a bad hair day, I’m in a mood and you better look out.  I usual wear it shoulder length or longer, but since months have passed since getting it cut I decided it was time for a trim.  I found a place near my house and explained that I wanted it short but past my chin.  Then before I knew it, I had a bob.  I have never had my hair this short and seeing it was a shock to say the least.  I struggled to hold back the tears but the second I got into the street I couldn’t hold it in any longer.  I was sobbing, weeping, there is no word strong enough for the noises I was making.  I got home and immediately called BG via skype.   As the phone was ringing I realized something.  Who was I to complain about a measly fricking haircut to someone who recently was diagnosed with lymphoma and had no choice but to shave her head? Although the truth is she looks awesome without hair and I look like a mushroom cap with my haircut.  I needed to put things into perspective.  But even as I chatted with BG and told her how stupid I felt when I compared my situation with hers she was as compassionate as usual.  She always is there to hear my stupid problems, even when what she is going through may be much harder.  But thats just the kind of person BG is.  Always putting others first.  She is loving, kind and no matter what I am going through is ready to listen and give amazing advice.  As I sobbed via video chat for up what was probably an hour, within that time I felt better.  I’m not going to lie, after our conversation I did run out to try and buy hair extension ( only found 2 places and they looked horrible) and I contemplated canceling my night class ( isn’t emotional distress a reasonable excuse?) but I am putting things into perspective.  I think part of the reason BG is such an amazing person comes from her family.  Cecilia also had some sagely advice for me a.) never get your hair cut by a man ( I guess this is obvious) b.) It’s just hair, it’ll grow back c.) You have your health.  Suck it up.  ( I added the suck it up part but it seems appropriate).  Of course Eduardo just told me it looked great.  I belive “very european” were his exact words, and c’mon, if that isn’t a compliment I don’t know what is!  Maybe it is the typical dad response just to say your daughter or your daughter’s friend looks beautiful no matter what, but it really did make me feel better.
No matter how many times I keep telling myself, it’s just hair, it’ll grow back, I can’t help feeling ugly inside.  I believe we need to feel good about ourselves before we can be happy, and it doesn’t matter how many people tell me my hair looks fine, I need to believe that.  Maybe it’ll take a couple days or weeks, but as soon as I feel comfortable with myself I know I can be happy.  And with friends like BG it makes
this task even easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment