Thursday 8 November 2012

An anchor for the soul

"17 Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. 18 God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope set before us may be greatly encouraged. 19 We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, 20 where our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek." 
Hebrews 6:17-20


I love these verses from Hebrews, especially the one I bolded for you. I was crafting today to decorate my office and was inspired by this verse so intensely that I attempted to make a portrait of it. I have honestly failed at every single craft I have made over the past few months (and ever) so it's humbling for me to show you a picture of it but I'm still excited to have it up in my office and be encouraged by it while I return to work in the months to come. 



Anyhoo -- the reason why I am moved deeply by this verse is because of the impact it has on me when my heart brings this verse to life. When I begin to see this verse as an image in my mind there are three things that I begin to picture (i) an anchor (ii) a ship that is attached to the anchor and (iii) the waves and weather that are happening around the ship which is attached to the anchor. So why is this so meaningful to me? The way I see it, we are the ship, and the only time a ship casts an anchor is when it is at rest. Therefore, when we rest in our God, our anchor (hope) is also cast... hmmm... interesting. Furthermore, when we rest in God, and our anchor (hope) is cast, it is firm and secure. Additionally, when we rest in God, and our anchor (hope) is cast, and it is firm and secure, it doesn't matter whether it's a beautiful-sun-shining day or it's a Sandy-Katrina-hurricane sort of day because We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. And this is why I love this verse.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing post! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! I had not thought through the fact that you don't cast out an anchor unless you are resting. If you don't take the time to rest in God, then you really can't have an anchor either.

    May you be blessed!

    ReplyDelete