Friday 23 November 2012

Guest blogger Bekka K: God's promises




I am not quite sure where to begin this... I have never typed a single letter on a blog before! So whom can I think of better than my dear friend BG to begin to share this first experience with!

I had the privilege to be alongside BG this Monday, while she was handed her diploma for completion of chemotherapy. I have never been so excited for someone else's diploma before!  What a moment we shared, but I can only imagine how God felt sharing that moment with us as well. I can say with confidence that after I found out about BG’s diagnosis, this was the first time in my life that my prayers for healing had been backed up by my faith that God could actually follow through and heal! 
 "Jesus replied " Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer. "  Matthew 21:21-22
 I had never believed these verses before. If someone asked me now why my belief has changed I am not sure I can find an answer yet. I can say that through the intimate relationship I have been seeking with Christ, I know now my God is real, he is mighty, he is all powerful and greater than my imagination can begin to envision! He is a loving God and boy does he love his daughter BG. So today I thought, as both BG and I had tears in our eyes as we read her well deserved diploma, “I wonder how God feels!” I think he shed a few more tears than we did!

Now I move to the next thing on my heart. I have had the privilege of knowing BG for the past year. We met on an anniversary we now share that is approaching quite soon. January 1st 2012! What a day, both BG and I were baptized by water in the tank at GT. I had no idea this beautiful girl people called BG would become such a prominent figure in my life. That was the beginning of such a beautiful friendship. Through my love for snowboarding and BG's desire for students to find Christ, the Lord united us in servanthood and friendship! To which he is still writing our story.

Our first project together was planning and executing snow trips up to Mt.Washington with a bus full of people from the Adore/GT community. Upon the first bus ride of the year for the snow club trips BG and I went deep! I instantly developed a heart for this humble, passionate, caring, young daughter of the most high king! And what a princess I see today!

It struck me today to think back upon the day I found out BG had been diagnosed with lymphoma. I had left for work at the beginning of July, Canada day long weekend to be exact. I said goodbye to BG and planned to skype while I was away. I was planning on helping BG with the Red Frogs ministry that she was intending to start up this past September. To be honest living in camp with terrible service and working 10+ hours/days for the whole month of July, did not make it easy to skype anyone. The days began to meld together and before I knew it I was heading home and feeling guilty for I did not have a single skype date with BG.
 My priority at the beginning of August was to see BG as soon as I got home. As BG answered the door I instantly knew something was up. Her hair had been cut short (not yet shaved, but short). This was the first tip off something was up because her hair was long when I left. The second was a look on her face that I could see right through. We sat down and she told me the news, as well as why she did not tell me while I was away. I was shocked! I had been away, praying about where my heart was with Red Frog's and BG had been going through the realization and diagnosis of lymphoma. She did not tell me because she did not want me to feel the need to return from work early just for her.  I would love to say I had cried but (although it did break my heart) I didn’t. My tough side rose up. My initial thought for the next few days, which I’m quite ashamed to admit, were of pulling away! I have already gone through the despair of losing one of my closest friends in life already, so I kept thinking to myself, "we’re not that close, if I don’t get any closer, if I pull away, I won’t go through the pain of loss again".

I am so glad I did not let that thought or the enemy grip my heart any further ...instead I chose to pray, and believe that my God is more powerful than BG's cancer, the pain in my heart, my fears of grief and loss, and basically anything of this world! "In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one" Ephesians 6:16
I am so grateful God reminded me of these truths. Because of his grace I have had the privilege of walking alongside BG, my close dear friend, and learning more than I imagined through a journey together with Christ at our centre!

I have been learning some of God's promises during this time.   I look to them often now, believing that if I had rooted my faith in them 6 month's ago I would never harbored the thought of running from BG's side. I am finding the need to share a few of them with the hope that they might be of help to someone else as they were a help me.

The promise of peace- "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

The promise of confidence- "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

The promise of love- "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 8:38-39

The promise of grace- " My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" 2 Corinthians 12:9

The promise of strength- " In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

It has been incredible to see this girl change in the last six months from the girl I met merely six months prior.  It was definitely undeniable that a year ago BG was on fire for Christ. But there is something significantly different now. She is sparkling with God's glory and grace. She never once pulled away from God through this… yes she had struggles, she could have said screw this, I’m done God with your plan...but NO.  She pressed in harder and longer every time it got more difficult.  She trusted in God's word...." 'For I know the plans I have for you' declares the Lord 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "   Jeremiah 29:11

Through her passion for her king she is positively glowing! I have seen a maturity rise up in the past few weeks far beyond her years. She is speaking the word of God on a daily basis. Her life is operating minute by minute on a different level and at a different depth...orchestrated by her King.  She knows God has a plan for her and unless it is God himself she will let nothing stand in her way!

So, now I will repeat the powerful post by BG herself and say "screwtape you better watch out"... cause you got something coming ! You ain't  seen anything like her, she is magnificent, our God spared no gift  when he made her, she is one of a kind, she is  the epitome of beauty itself, she is inspiring many, she is going to fight you holding her King's hand till her very last breathe. She is rising up out of the fire, molded and formed to do her God's will..."This third I will bring into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, "They are my people" and they will say "The Lord is our God". Zechariah 13:9  

She is a princess if I have ever seen one before... and I am forever grateful God placed her in my life to show me what it is to be Christ's beloved daughter, a devoted believer, and my faithful friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment