Thursday 22 November 2012

give thanks.


"16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

This verse has taken over my thoughts in the last 24 hours. It's so simply put and yet so perfectly distressing to comprehend. Being thankful in all circumstances is difficult for me. However, when I find myself being less than thankful for the blessings in my life there is always a root cause of my unappreciative heart: self-centered-ness. There's a bitter sensation that comes with the realization that when I am unthankful I am thinking only of myself and when I am thankful I am thinking of others. 

An inward focus causes me to think of everything I lack in the world: talents, gifts, stuff... When I begin to think of the things I lack I am unable to be thankful for the things I have. I can even begin to overlook the things I have in abundance. On the contrary, an outward focus causes me to think of everything I have to offer the world: talents, gifts, stuff... When I focus less on myself and more on the world around me I can see what I've been blessed with. In turn, I am able to bless others these things as well. I can be more thankful for the blessings other people have in their lives because I am secure and confident of my own blessings. 

Still, the part that always gets me with this verse is "in all circumstances" (vs.18). It's hard to imagine having every possible awful thing in the world happening to someone at once. Would they really be expected to give thanks even in all those circumstances? I would believe yes. Why? Because even if everything around us fails, even if we fall to pieces, even if we experience the greatest heartbreak we still "have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed...15 For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God." (2 Corinthians 4:7-15).

I'm still learning the meaning of these verses but I'm choosing to believe that there is power in a thankful heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment