Monday 19 November 2012

A chemo rant to Screwtape

I'm at chemo yet again. 
I decided to write this post asap because I slowly become more delirious as more drugs get introduced into my system. As well as when the drugs start to kick-in while in my system! Do these sentences make sense? We might be off to a bad start. 

Over the past couple days I've been wondering what I wanted to write about today because there is so much stuff stirring in my heart but there's something that I woke up with just burning inside of me wanting to escape. I don't know why but for the past year our Glad Tidings staff has been burdened with physical illness. I'm not going to name any specific people or situations but we've been hit hard with physical, internal, and mental ailments. God has been gracious to all of us and kept us from washing away completely but I am pissed off that we continue to have to go through hardship. I've never prayed so much in my entire life for forms of healing to come upon one group of people. Still, I'm fed up with it. I can't understand why any of these things have happened to our beautiful group of people, the only reason I can think of is that we are doing a good work -- and something is trying to stop us. 

I don't want to dwell on the manifestation of the devil or whether he is a real identity or whether he's the personification of evil -- none of that matters in this post because the truth is regardless of where it comes from there is evil. Therefore, you can choose whichever belief you prefer but I will be referring to the devil, or personifaction of evil, as Screwtape like in C.S.Lewis' "The Scewtape Letters".

I'm pissed off with Screwtape and if I ever met him I think it would take everything in me not to punch him straight in the face. He set back my ministry 6 months, he tore my acl, he gave me cancer, and he's hurt my friends that I work with in various and different ways and he's pretty much all an around an ugly guy -- I believe my anger towards Screwtape is a righteous one. On that note, I will now stop giving power to Screwtape because the amount of power he has in the universe is infinitely inadequate to the power of God. And what Screwtape has intended for evil, God will create into good. 

On that note, 

Dear Sr.Screwtape,

I'm mad at you and you suck. When I rant about all of these things, you are probably pleased with the work you've done in and around our staff. But I'm here to tell you that our time is up. Our time of illness is up, our time of distress is up, our time of sorrow is up, and our time for hurt is up.

I know this rant probably increased your motivation rather than deflating your work but this is where I will begin to talk about God's word. 

Our God is a great God. Our God is bigger than our fears, insecurities, superstitions,  problems,  obstacles, and the worst enemy we will ever meet. Therefore, I believe that every awful ailment that has been brought to the community and staff of Glad Tidings in the past year aren't so much proof of defeat but will begin to produce a harvest bigger than we've ever experienced before.  What was meant to be an end will now be a beginning I don't think I can say it better than JRR Tolkien so I'm going to allow him to say it: "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; renenwed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king.”

Therefore, Sr.Screwtape, you better watch out. We're not going to waste our time coming after you but we're going to break down every stronghold, temptation, false idol, and immature status that you've been creating in the last few years and we're going take them down. We are going to wake up early to meditate in the presence of God every morning, we are going to call on his Holy Spirit in our times of confusion and need, and we're going to FIGHT on our knees as we cry out to God for his salvation in this City. And because He is on our side we are going to win every fight he calls us to fight. We may lose battles, we may lose people, we may lose money or events or personal praise. But we will be fighting for the Lord Everlasting so no matter what battles we come up against we will always win the war. 
Our time of illness, sickness, sorrow, and hurt is over. Now is our time to fall on our knees and earnestly,  desperately, and diligently seek after God -- this is our fight. 
Hide yo kids & hide yo wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment