Wednesday 5 December 2012

F(rig)MyLife

I wasn't fully sure what I wanted to write about today but one of the things I've been majorly blessed with in the past 6 months is great friends with great/awful stories in their attempt to make me feel better. A lot of my friends are going into finals right now so if you need a little pick me up here you go.... Welcome to my first instalment of F(rig)MyLife!
(Also, I will NEVER reveal the true identities that go with these stories so don't even bother asking. Also also, my details may not be completely accurate but I assure you I did not exaggerate any of these stories)

Story #1
Okay, I might as well start with myself in attempt to make my friends feel better about the fact that I'm using their stories to make other people feel better. And this is the only one that I will tell you who it's about because it's me and otherwise that would be unfair. One summer when my dad was working in Cuba I went to stay with him for the month of July and while he was at work he signed me up for a volleyball team to work on my skillzz. On our first day of training we were in a gym called "the butterfly". It was called "the butterfly" because it had a roof that dipped down in the middle and looked like, you guessed it, a butterfly. It also had posts that held up the ceiling all the way around. Not walls, but posts. It didn't have walls. Just bleachers. Like an undercover area. So, the first day of training when it was 35 degrees outside it was also 35 degrees in the undercover area. I was really nervous the first day so all I ate for breakfast was watermelon (you might think you know where this story is going but just wait).
Anyhoo, we started with a 45 minute warm-up. After the warm-up I was DYING of heat and thirst and heat and sweat and heat and more heat and the most heat I've ever experienced. I ran to my water bottle and chugged half a litre of water. After that I felt great... for 30 seconds. Until I turned around and threw up hot pink all over my white t-shirt. I then tried to tell the coach and girls I was embarrassed but my Spanish was incredibly rusty. I started repeating over and over again "estoy tan embarazada" (my translation: I'm so embarrassed). After about a whole sixty seconds of me repeating this over and over again and all the girls and coaches looking really confused at me I realized "estoy tan embarazada" doesn't mean "I'm so embarrassed"... it means "I'm so pregnant".  

Story #2 
One of my friends was late to school one day so she threw on her clothes and realized her favourite scarf was in the dryer because she had washed it the day before. She ran to the dryer, grabbed her scarf, and ran out the door to catch her bus. On the way to the bus people were starring and giggling at her but she brushed it off thinking they were just jealous of how awesome she looked. She then rode the bus to school, walked to her school, got to her class, sat down, and realized that one of her bras was wrapped around her neck along with her scarf. 

Story #3 
One of my friends had her first "boyfriend" when she was in grade 7. They got together near the holidays and she was unsure what she should get him as a Christmas gift. She ended up deciding to get him Purdy's hedgehogs (classic). She gave him the chocolates one day at school and he was very grateful for them. They still had a week of school before the holidays but my friend's "boyfriend" didn't show up for the rest of the week because he got sick -- there was a flu going around that year. Near the end of the week his brother approached my friend with the Christmas gift her boyfriend was too sick to give her himself. When my friend opened the gift she found a $200 gold pocketwatch engraved with her initials. She felt pretty uncomfortable about how much more expensive her watch was than his chocolates but the awkward part was that the reason why he got sick wasn't because of the flu that was going around but because he was allergic to nuts. So really her gift came with an extra surprise: anaphylactic shock.

It's funny that most of girl's awful/embarrassing stories have to do with undergarments or boys -- both things we could technically choose to live without. Anyways, hope you feel encouraged and better about today! Feel free to send me a message with your embarrassing stories so I can make a second instalment of F(rig)MyLife. I promise it will be anonymous!!

1 comment:

  1. The watermelon story made me laugh! So great!

    ReplyDelete