Saturday 6 October 2012

Clinical trial

As many of you know I had my latest chemo treatment on Monday October 1st. It wasn't the worst treatment I've had but I have never before wanted to be in treatment less. I cried before my treatment, I cried during my treatment, and I cried after my treatment -- none of this is new information. However, now I have a four week break before my next treatment! Why you ask? Good question! I don't know how I feel about this yet but I decided to potentially take part in a clinical trial. There's both good and bad parts to this clinical trial and I'm going to try to explain it the best I can.
So now that I've had four cycles of treatment, the next step that would usually happen would be getting a CT scan, having two more cycles, then having a PET scan and re-evaluating what to do in the treatment next (options being more cycles, radiation, or being done). However, I've realized I'm allergic to the solution I get injected with for the CT scan so I asked my doctor if there was anything else I could do so that I wouldn't throw up when getting tested and he suggested being put in this clinical trial. So, the way this trial works is instead of getting the CT scan after the fourth cycle I would get a PET scan. The good news is a PET scan is way more accurate than a CT scan, it has a sugar solution which people are hardly ever allergic to, I get to go to Vancouver for a night because I have to get the scan early in the morning, and if my treatment isn't working well enough there's the possibility to change it. The bad news is a PET scan can potentially tell you a million different things which are wrong with you (scary) and if my chemotherapy treatment isn't working then I will get switched to a treatment called RICE which sounds approximately three times worse than the treatment I'm on now. So here are the outcomes that can occur with my clinical trial:
1. get a PET scan and it comes back positive and I have to start the RICE treatment, which includes four cycles of three days of chemo and three weeks off of chemo.
2. get a PET scan and it comes back negative and I have to complete two cycles of the CHOP-R treatment and then get another PET scan to evaluate what to do next.
3. get a PET scan and God has miraculously healed me and I never have to go through chemotherapy treatment again (pray for this one! Although my doctors don't see this happening).

So, my tentative schedule right now is PET scan on October 23rd and chemotherapy on October 29th -- keep these dates in your heads and hearts and you keep me in your prayers! Thanks :)

1 comment:

  1. BG. I just wanted to let you know I'm here for you. Good luck with your PET scan. Have you had any kind of imaging to see the tumour yet?
    Javi

    ReplyDelete