Tuesday 26 February 2013

my bed.

The other day I was in bed waiting to fall asleep when I started being so incredibly thankful for how wonderful, cozy, and comfy my bed is. "I love my bed," I thought to myself and then instantly thought of 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (which if you don't know it from every wedding you've ever been to I've quoted it below)...
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
I truly enjoy this passage because it states that love is an action and not a feeling. We can love different things very much without ever having feelings of love towards them. However, this passage is suppose to be a guideline to how we should treat people because it is an example of what true love is. (note: by "true love" I don't mean the Disney version like "true love's first kiss" but the God version because 1 John 4 teaches us that God = Love). Anyhoo, when thinking of this passage a few days ago I realized that I am better at loving my comfy bed than I am at loving people!

I find it difficult to be patient with people who test my patience, yet every time my bed is cold and I jump into it I patiently wait for it to warm-up without complaint. 

I am sometimes unkind to people who push my buttons, yet I would never call my bed names when I walk outside of my room or when talking with friends.

I do not boast to my bed, envy my bed, feel resentful towards my bed, or insist on having my way against my bed because I have no intention of comparing myself to my bed. 

After coming to these realizations I came to the conclusion that I am better at loving most of the inanimate objects in my life (i.e. my computer, my favourite sweater, my lamp, my running shoes, etc.) than I am at loving people! I know it's different circumstances because I got to choose and purchase the majority of the objects in my life: try them on, pick out my favourite colour, and wear them in so they feel just right. But how much more meaningful are people than things? Tom Haverford, from Parks and Recreation, says that "love fades away but things, things are forever." This is an awful but hilarious quote, but it proves my point quite perfectly. Love is what should be forever but if love is an action and my actions towards my inanimate objects are better than the actions I have towards the people around me then although I believe "Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, [and] endures all things" (1 Corinthians 13:7) then I'm really just living as though the "things are forever."

Ironically, I am writing this from my bed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment