Sunday 12 May 2013

Happy Mother's Day to my mother

It's Mother's Day today and this morning I found myself to the point of tears thinking about the mother figures I have in my life. I have been blessed with so many wonderful women that have cared for me, encouraged me, prayed for me, strengthened me, and help me get to where I am today.



The one person I want to celebrate and thank today, though, is my mother Cecilia. Words can't express how much my mother has sacrificed to help me become the person I am today. She did everything she could to make my sister, Selina, and my life experiences the best possible and even sacrificed things in her own life to ensure we would never have to sacrifice things in ours. She spent countless hours driving us to swimming lessons, skating, gymnastics, ballet, piano classes, volleyball practice, walking us to school, picking us up from friend's houses, and making us vegetable salads for dinner and fruit salads for breakfast. Honestly, she has made an immeasurable amount of salads in her life. 

My mother is also the person whose opinion seemed to matter most when I didn't believe I was able to accomplish something. If she told me I could do something -- I believed it.  However, she didn't stop with encouragement, she helped me to the point of financially and emotionally aiding me in going to Thailand with Adore, Mexico with Kendra, and in getting a university degree from UVic. All of these accomplishments I have in my life I should give credit to her for, because without her assistance I would have failed to pursue any of them. Then, this past year, she planned to take some time off so that she could look after me for a few weeks after my knee surgery; and ended up taking care of me for six months instead. 

She's been there for me in the best times of my life and has stuck by my side in the worst times in my life. For every person that has a difficulty understanding God's unconditional and sacrificial love I feel sorry for them because although she may not be perfect, my mother's love comes pretty darn close. So for the child I once was, for the girl I use to be, and for the young lady I am today: thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment