Wednesday 2 January 2013

On the Drive Home.

I just got home from a friend's house and something oddly familiar happened to me on the drive home. I was driving down MacKenzie, which is usually a busy street but was quite empty at this time of night, and a car sped up beside me, cut me off, and continued to speed on ahead of me. I don't really get bothered when people cut me off and then speed away (it's when they cut me off and slow down that really bugs me) so I didn't really think twice about the occurrence. Also, I was singing and listening to music so I was obviously in my own little world. But, a few minutes down the road, I stopped at a red light and you know who was beside me? That's right: SeƱor Speedracer.

I thought this situation was quite funny because it honestly happens to me all the time.  Drivers who are running late or maybe just have the need for speed will often exceed the speed limit excessively and then end up getting caught at a red light right beside the turtle driver they passed minutes ago. I've been on both ends of this scenario and let me tell you when you're the speedracer it is awkward and embarrassing to be stuck beside a car you cut off two minutes ago and obnoxiously sped away from. However, in this occurrence, I couldn't help but think how funny the situation was because it is such a good metaphor for life.

Frankly, how often does this same scenario happen in life? We try to speed up our plans, try to get to our destination/goal faster, and sometimes even cut off other people thinking we will race ahead of them and be in the lead. However, no matter how much we can control our speed and no matter how many road options we can to take, we can't control the traffic, traffic lights, or other drivers. Furthermore, if we disobey the traffic rules we run the risk of getting into a nasty accident and sometimes not even hurting ourselves but also hurting other people. The signs in our lives, like the ones on the roads, are there for a reason. The signs are there to help us stay safe and be aware of our surroundings, even when we can't see them. The traffic lights are there to help us get to our destination maybe not on our time but at the right time. And the traffic? Well, maybe the traffic is just there to remind us that even though we might be alone in our car, we're not alone on the road. So, take a few minutes to slow down and pay attention to the signs, people, and surroundings around you. Don't worry too much about speeding things up, you'll get to where you're suppose to be, and you'll get there when you're suppose to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment